Change An Order

Even after a divorce is finalized and resolved, you may need additional legal help over the following months and years as your situation and circumstances change, or if your spouse violates or does not follow a court order.

At New York Family Law Group, we can help with a wide variety of issues, including pursuing child support violations, modifying spousal support orders, or working to modify visitation or custody agreements. Contact us now to discuss your situation and get the assistance you need.

Can Divorce Orders Be Modified?

Yes. While divorce orders like child support, spousal support, visitation, and other orders are “permanent,” this does not mean they cannot be modified. The court is designed to allow modifications and changes to divorce orders as necessary.

The grounds for a modification depend on the situation and your divorce orders, but typically require one party to show a significant “change in circumstances.” For example, if one spouse paying child support gets a much higher-paying job, the other spouse may petition the court to modify the amount of child support accordingly.

To begin this process, you must file a petition with the court and provide proof of the change in circumstances, and then request a court modification of the order. The court will consider the evidence and the situation, then determine whether or not the order should be modified.

What About Child Custody Orders?

Child custody orders may also be modified after a final divorce decree. The typical requirement for modifying a custody order is showing a “substantial change in circumstances” for one parent or the child since the custody agreement was established. A substantial change in circumstances is something one or both parent could not anticipate at the time the order was issued. There are many variables as to what would be considered a substantial change in circumstance, which is why it is important to speak with an attorney.

How Can A Court Order Be Enforced?

The primary enforcement mechanism for court orders is to report to the court if a court order is violated. For example, if a child’s parent fails to pay their owed child support or fails to abide by the visitation and custody schedule, the other spouse would file a violation or enforcement petition with the court.

Essentially, this is a petition that is asking the court to enforce the order that’s being violated. The court will then hold a hearing to find if the court order was violated. If so, the responsible person could be held in contempt of court. This could result in fines, or even incarceration for up to 6 months, in some cases. 

How Can An Attorney Help Protect A Court Order?

First, an attorney can help you understand the exact legal requirements and the language used in a court order, which ensures you know your rights and obligations after a divorce settlement, as well as potential penalties for violating the order.

Working with an attorney also makes it easier to file petitions with the court if a court order is violated. A New York family law attorney will know how to file the petition, provide evidence to the court, and ensure the other party either meets their obligations for child support, visitation, spousal support, and other such court orders, or faces the necessary legal consequences for violating them.

Contact New York Family Law Group For The Representation You Need

Whether you’re interested in modifying and changing a court order after divorce, or you need assistance pursuing your ex-spouse or your child’s parent for violating a court order, attorneys Martin Mohr and Ethan Steward can help. 

The team at New York Family Law Group has experience in all aspects of family law and divorce law, including post-decree matters. We can provide you with the legal assistance and advice you need. Contact us now for a consultation.

Schedule your consultation today!

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.


"My experience with my Attorney Mr. Mohr was EXTREMELY WONDERFUL.  He is an excellent Attorney to hire for Family Court Cases. I hired him one year ago & currently still have him as my Attorney on my Family Court cases here in the Bronx, New York.  Mr. Mohr & his Law Firm are very Understanding  & Respectful. Thank you Mr. Mohr for continuing to help me with my legal case. I APPRECIATE it!!"

Former clienT

"Anyone who is need of legal help should come here first! Martin is a professional and is responsive. He gives all the information you need to put you in a better head space when it comes to making a legal decision.  A session with him is in your best interest if you need help and have questions regarding your legal matter.  I will contact him again if I'm ever in need of his services. Much appreciated sir Thank you!!"

Emmanuel Grant| Former Client

"Attorney Steward listened to my story and strongly represented my interests. He was courteous and responsive during the interactions and explained my choices to me in an understandable way, making sense of a very confusing system. He was able to prevail and achieve the outcome I needed, using his legal knowledge and communication skills. I cannot say enough about how he assisted me."

Suzanne | Former Client

"I would definitely recommend Mr. Mohr as an attorney he takes his time to overlook and view the case and also does his BEST. I’m very happy with the service I received from Mr. Mohr and his law firm."

Francisco G.| Former Client

"[Ethan] was very attentive and fought for everything I wanted kept me informed all the time and made me feel like I was family."

Uton | Former clienT

"Once Ethan got to analyzing my case, he was surgical. He broke down for me what I could expect in a very forthright, organized, and easy-to-understand manner. Then he went out and aggressively fought for me, getting better results than I expected. Finally, as he'll tell you over and over, his word means a great deal to him. It's important for me to be able to trust my lawyer, so his honesty throughout my cases really meant a lot to me."

Former clienT
Free E-Book

Download Your Guide To Child Custody, Visitation and Child Support in New York Today!

In this free guide, attorneys Martin Mohr and Ethan Steward share invaluable insights on child custody and visitation in New York. Download your free copy today.

Download Now!
Free Discovery Call
Schedule a free discovery call with our team today to discuss the specifics of your case.
Schedule Now!
910 Grand Concourse
Suite 1F
Bronx,NY 10451
718-293-1542 (Available 24/7)
Follow Us
Contact our office today to schedule a 100% risk free strategy session with an attorney. Complete the form below and our office will reach out shortly.
By providing this information no attorney/client relationship is formed between us
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.